Curse these cursed signal errors!

Hey,

I keep getting Signal error 4 wihle trying to compile my kernel, and I get a signal error 11 while using WindowMaker (trying to switch themes, etc.)  I know that signal errors are supposed to be hardware, but I can't see how mine is.  I've replaced my motherboard, RAM, and Hard drive, and I've swapped CPU's with my friend to try this (he can compile just fine).  I'm quite confused.  These are my system specs if this helps:

AMD K6-II 500
DFI Motherboard
64mb DIMM
30.7 gb Hard drive
50x CD-ROM

One more thing, I read about slowing down the wait states in my BIOS.  I can't find these in my Award BIOS.  Is it called something different?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson