Re: Simulating a mouse

"Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 10:43:13PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>> Does anybody know if I can install a "mouse" driver that really takes
>> its input from hotkeys on the keyboard? That is, a keyboard-driven
>> mouse. I've checked my window manager documentation, just in case, but I
>> didn't really expect it to be able to move the mouse around, as it's the
>> wrong level. If anybody knows of such a thing, I'd be grateful to hear
>> about it.
>
>I don't know about any program simulating a mouse.  However, I know
>Icewm can move and resize windows using Alt-F7 and Alt-F8, respectively,
>by using the arrow keys.  I'm sure some of the other window managers
>have similar behaviors.

I mostly use X for loads of vertically maximized xterms (using Alt-F12
in my window manager configuration) and some variety of graphical web
browser anyway. :) I do tend to use the keyboard a lot. The most
immediate problem was that I couldn't move the mouse up to get to
Netscape's menus ... (I'm sure there's a Netscape.ad workaround for
that, but it's not my preferred solution.)

>There have been discussions in the past about making a fake mouse so X
>would run without any mouse attached.  You might search the archives if
>you're interested.

Had a look, but nothing yet. I might be too tired right now, so I'll try
again tomorrow.

Thanks,