Simulating a mouse

Hi,

My mouse has recently developed an extreme reluctance to move the mouse
pointer along the up/down axis; I'm assuming some sensor inside is dirty
or something, but the cleaning I can do doesn't seem to make any
difference. At some point I'll probably just get a new mouse, but in the
meantime:

Does anybody know if I can install a "mouse" driver that really takes
its input from hotkeys on the keyboard? That is, a keyboard-driven
mouse. I've checked my window manager documentation, just in case, but I
didn't really expect it to be able to move the mouse around, as it's the
wrong level. If anybody knows of such a thing, I'd be grateful to hear
about it.

No need to Cc: me - I'm subscribed to this list.

Thanks,