Re: Simulating a mouse

Damian Menscher <menscher@uiuc.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Colin Watson wrote:
>> My mouse has recently developed an extreme reluctance to move the mouse
>> pointer along the up/down axis; I'm assuming some sensor inside is dirty
>> or something, but the cleaning I can do doesn't seem to make any
>> difference. At some point I'll probably just get a new mouse, but in the
>> meantime:
>
>There will be three rollers inside.  Use a fingernail to scrape off any
>junk.  It might look like a brown stripe of felt is supposed to be
>there.  It isn't -- it's just dirt.

I'd tried that, and it certainly made X-axis movement smoother, but I
think the dirt is actually further inside where the roller meets its
supports. Probing with tweezers hasn't helped. The mouse occasionally
judders vertically in response to not very much vibration in the desk,
too, so I suspect it's near the end of its life. I could do with a
three-button mouse at home as well as at work anyway.

In the longer term I'd like to keep my need to move from the keyboard to
the mouse as low as possible, to slow the onset of things like RSI. I
was wondering if any disabled Linux users had come up with anything
(remembering that Windows has something like "MouseKeys", not that I
ever needed it while I was still using Windows).

Thanks,