Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:42:13PM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

> I'm just over a month into Debian and have hassled the list with
> lots of my configuration problems. That being said, the
> conversion from Mandrake to Debian was relatively painless and I
> actually preferred the very interactive Debian approach; and am
> slowly discovering that almost all the information I need to sort
> out my problems is sitting here inside my box.   RTFM remains
> some of the best advice around, though sometimes it helps to be
> told where TFM IS!
>
> What I need (not a complete newbie but not an expert by any
> means) is actually some help finding a path through the
> documentation; perhaps a list of the docs that would be most
> helpful to a beginner trying to, say, compile a kernel, or
> configure sound, sort out X or set up a small network.  Part of
> the fascination of any kind of Linux is figuring it out and
> getting under the bonnet (as we say over here); but some guidance
> as to where the helpful bits of the docs are would help a lot.

wouldn't it be nice if there were just a HELP command?

*something* for the newbie to stumble onto that'll point out
likely suspects when it comes to looking for answers...?

	% help
	help: Command not found.

duh!

--
things are more like they used to be than they are now.

will@serensoft.com   ***   http://www.dontUthink.com/