Re: HELP! xconfig won't give access to modules

Thanks for the tip (and also thanks to Brad for the more detailed
response).

That works.

There is still a problem.  Though the card and the driver are
recognised on startup, modprobe complains that it cannot find the
driver.  It does exist -- it's in /usr/src/.../drivers/net, but it does
not appear in /lib/modules/2.2.17.  For that matter, neither does
modules.dep, and modprobe complains about that as well.

I have watched the screen while making modules, and it enters and
leaves /drivers/net, reporting "nothing to do" (or words to that
effect).

Attempts to ping the only other machine on the (so far ineffective)
network get blips on the ethernet card's activity light, but nothing
received.  (The same thing happens at the other end, which is (gack...)
Win98.  As for that, I have not ruled out a faulty connection, even
though the link lights are on.

I guess that's two problems.  Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks for the help

Cam

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), nate@firetrail.com wrote:

>did you enable expermintal driver support? that should make the rtl8139
>driver show up ..i use htat card in a lot of systems too.
>
>nate

Cam Ellison, Ph.D., R.Psych.

cam_ellison@uniserve.com  or cam@fleuryassociates.com