gpm locks out console keyboard

Does anyone know why gpm would completely hang
console logins on a machine? I can still login remotely,
and if I kill gpm I can then get a console.

This would seem to be very bad behavior on gpm's part.

It first happened after a dselect update on the
woody dist back in August. I've been doing updates
on a regular basis hoping the problem would just go
away (the few hours I had to play with it were what
led me to the above remote login solution, which has
been enough to get by with this machine for awhile)
as they usually do.

Even if things have drastically changed, even if the
config file is f***ed, one would not expect a mouse
daemon to completely block console command line logins!

Any suggestions for a bandaide until the underlying
problem goes away?

Use Linux: A computer        Dale Amon, CEO/MD
is a terrible thing          Village Networking Ltd
to waste.                    Belfast, Northern Ireland