Re: apt-get, gnome-apt, dselect, which to use?

I use apt-cache (also in the apt package) to see what packages are
available.

$ apt-cache search jdk
jdk1.1-dev - JDK 1.1.x (Java Development Kit)
ibm-jdk1.1-installer - Installer for IBM Developer Kit for Linux, Java(TM)
Technology Edition
lib-rxtx-java - native interface to serial ports in java
jdk1.1-native-dev - JDK 1.1.x - native threads extensions
netbeans-developer - NetBeans Developer - Java IDE
biss-awt - a Java GUI application programming framework
mmake - Makefile generator for Java programs
gcj - The GNU compiler for Java(TM).
jde - Java Development Environment for Emacs or XEmacs.
jdk1.1-native - JDK 1.1.x Runtime - native threads extensions
tya - JIT-compiler for Java.
jdk1.1 - JDK 1.1.x (Java Development Kit) - Runtime only
$ apt-cache show tya
Package: tya
Section: contrib/devel
Installed-Size: 190
Maintainer: Ruud de Rooij <ruud@debian.org>
Version: 1.6-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), jdk1.1 (>= 1.1.7v3-2)
Architecture: i386
Size: 95184
MD5sum: 6b1c81244dba9a88a2db9325819b632e
Filename: dists/potato/contrib/binary-i386/devel/tya_1.6-1.deb
 TYA is a ``100% unofficial'' JIT-compiler designed as an add-on to JDK 1.1.x
 for Linux (x86).
 .
 A JIT-compiler (just in time-compiler) is an extension to the Java virtual
 machine.  It translates Java bytecode instructions on-the-fly (at run-time)
 into native machine instructions.  This results in faster execution of Java
 programs compared to the conventional interpreted execution.

$

--
Rule Psix Mossad security aanslag counter-intelligence BATF DES
AKSO KFOR heroïne colonel Osama Bin Laden SARIN Peking anthrax