Re: apt-get, gnome-apt, dselect, which to use?

On 29-Sep-2000 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 09:54:29AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:

>> List all files:    dpkg -L pacakge
>> list all packages: dpkg -l
>
>     So, does that mean apt-get's cache is shared with dpkg then? I
> thought
> they were separate, due to the apt-cache program. I'm actually a little
> confused about what dbs exist, and what is updated when I do an apt-get
> update.

dpkg's database s in /var/lib/dpkg. apt has the package lists in
/var/state/apt/lists, and the cache (the binary database & packages) in
/var/cache/apt.

So if you do an apt-get update, only apt's lists are updated (unless you
use the dselect apt method, which merges the apt database with dpkg's).
With apt-cache you search the binary db of apt.

dpkg knows about a package only if the package description is in his
available list. Thus if a new package appears in apt's list, apt-cache will
know about it, but dpkg won't (unless you install the package).

>> Preben Vim user. No emacs installed.
>
>     Here here. Vim rocks.

Agreed :)