apt-get, gnome-apt, dselect, which to use?

Hello all,

After my first 'apt-get update', I wanted to see a list of what was
newly available to install or upgrade.  'man apt-get' left me no wiser
as to whether there is a way to do this with apt-get.  What I ended up
doing was guessing as to a package name, and doing 'apt-get -s install
foo' to see if it existed.  Is there a better way?  Or do you
generally use something like gnome-apt or dselect to do this?

Also, is there a way to find out what packages
depend/suggest/recommend with apt-get?  Or a description of a package?

I guess what I'm getting at is, can I do everything just with apt-get,
or do you need to use something else for this kind of stuff.

I _love_ apt-get!

=wl
--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of