Re: OT what happens to mail when...

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 03:03:51PM -0500, William Jensen wrote:
> Warning: Ignorant question coming...
>
> I've registered a domain, setup deb to be 'on' the net and have exim directly
> handling the mail sent directly to the domain.  What happens to mail that is
> sent to the domain when I'm rebooted into windows and playing games?

it makes it to your ethernet port, sees that you're running microso~1,
falls over laughing, and then runs for the hills.

seriously, it depends on the setup of the routers between the sender
(inclusive) and you (exclusive). exim can be configured to try re-delivering
a message every hour for six hours, then fall back to every six hours,
falling back to... until a certain limit is reached (say, four days).

advice:

if you have a static ip and a domain name attached to your box, it seems
quite sensible that you'd be running some service there (most obvious
one would be http/web stuff). seems very silly to offer that, and then
shut down your server just to play 'how-many-ways-can-regedit-fsck-my-shell*'?

imho.

--

*shell, as opposed to operating system. "restart in ms-dos" is clever
newspeak for "quit windows".