Re: OT what happens to mail when...

William Jensen <jensenb@bodach.com> writes:
> I've registered a domain, setup deb to be 'on' the net and have exim directly
> handling the mail sent directly to the domain.  What happens to mail that is
> sent to the domain when I'm rebooted into windows and playing games?

This depends on the sending host. Most unix systems queue the mail for
a period of time if the mail can't be sent immediately. Generally this
period of time is on the order of a few days. Every 15-30 minutes, in
general, the sending machine will retry the mail.

Otherwise the mail will bounce back to the sender, in general.

Notice all the "in generals"? That means that it depends on a lot of
variables. Worst case is that when your host can't be reached mail
will bounce back to the sender, best case is the mail is queued on the
senders machine and will be sent to you when you come back on line.

Personally, I'd say to leave the mail host responsibilities to your
ISP. They have a vested interest in keeping a host available 24/7 to
receive your email and trying to do this with your own hardware will
be problematic.

Gary