Re: weird telnet/dns behaviour on woody

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 11:29:14AM +1100, David Fisher wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  I get the same behavior on my home network with a twist.  I have
> > a separate woody web server.  If I use Netscape on my woody workstation and
> > just use the hostname for the server I get trafic on the modem to the outside,
> > with a consequent delay in accessing pages.  The FQDN lets me get straight
> > into the web server locally, with no external traffic.
> >
> > I'll be interested to hear the answer on this one.
>
>     I've found very strange behaviour with Netscape and DNS in general. I try
> not to use it as an example of a normal client service. I'll use telnet and
> ftp, and if they work, I blame netscape.

Sorry, I think you are missing my point.  I get the problem with telnet that
was previously reported.  The Netscape thing is in addition to that, and was
cited as a FURTHER example of the strange behavior.

The fact that several apps behave the same way seems to point to DNS to me.
For once, Netscape may be not guilty (I know that may be a shock....)

--
David
mailto:david@colossus.apana.org.au

"Ich fuhle, Luft von anderen Planeten"

Note:  No Microsoft programs were used in the
creation or distribution of this message.
If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible
for any harm you may encounter as a result.