Re: weird telnet/dns behaviour on woody

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 11:29:14AM +1100, David Fisher wrote:

> Interesting.  I get the same behavior on my home network with a twist.  I have
> a separate woody web server.  If I use Netscape on my woody workstation and
> just use the hostname for the server I get trafic on the modem to the outside,
> with a consequent delay in accessing pages.  The FQDN lets me get straight
> into the web server locally, with no external traffic.
>
> I'll be interested to hear the answer on this one.

    I've found very strange behaviour with Netscape and DNS in general. I try
not to use it as an example of a normal client service. I'll use telnet and
ftp, and if they work, I blame netscape.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX