weird telnet/dns behaviour on woody

Hi folks

I have a couple of intel woody machines here, one originally a storm box
and one originally a potato. I can't recall exactly when this started -
I apt-get dist-upgrade regularly - but both are now exhibiting the
following weird behaviour.

I run a dns server for my local network and for caching external
lookups. I run diald with ip masquerading. When I attempt to telnet from
either of these two boxes to any other on my network, and I enter a
non-fully-qualified domain name, diald brings up the line before the
telnet succeeds. If I enter the fully qualified domain name, the telnet
works immediately.

I can ping/nslookup with or without the fqdn.... I thought this might be
a reverse lookup problem as is often the case, but the entries on the
dns server are right and I can nslookup the reverse entries no problem,
i.e. nslookup 192.168.0.13 gives kermit and nslookup kermit gives
192.168.0.13.

I am confused; does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

--
Michael Pacey
michael@wd21.co.uk

wd21 ltd - world domination in the 21st century