Re: weird telnet/dns behaviour on woody

> When I attempt to telnet from
> either of these two boxes to any other on my network, and I enter a
> non-fully-qualified domain name, diald brings up the line before the
> telnet succeeds. If I enter the fully qualified domain name, the telnet
> works immediately.

Interesting.  I get the same behavior on my home network with a twist.  I have
a separate woody web server.  If I use Netscape on my woody workstation and
just use the hostname for the server I get trafic on the modem to the outside,
with a consequent delay in accessing pages.  The FQDN lets me get straight
into the web server locally, with no external traffic.

I'll be interested to hear the answer on this one.

"Ich fuhle, Luft von anderen Planeten"

Note:  No Microsoft programs were used in the
creation or distribution of this message.
If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible
for any harm you may encounter as a result.