Re: Rapid beeps and system lock up

Quoth Ross Boylan,
> Thank you.  I was running sawfish.  Shouldn't the installation
> procedure have some kind of warning?   I see there's another update,
> so this will be my chance to get it right.

I think it's a bug, but I haven't got around to filing a bug report (I'm
not entirely certain how to do it with the helix packages...)

> I have two questions.  First, what is the SYSREQ key (I have a MS
> Natural keyboard--windows oriented)?

The magic-sysrq key has to be enabled in the kernel, and I don't know if
the default debian kernels have it (they should, it's very handy). The
actual key is the Print Scrn/SysRq key on my keyboard (ie., above the
insert, next to the NumLock light). To test if you have it installed,
switch to a console and hit Alt-SysRq-z (or pretty much any key), and
it'll print something like:

SysRq: unRaw saK Boot...

To get further information, have a look at Documentation/sysrq.txt in
the kernel source.

Basically, if you do Alt-SysRq-S it will sync the discs, and Alt-SysRq-U
with unmount your drives and remount them read-only. At that point, it's
safe to hit the reset switch.

Alt-SysRq is a fairly low-level call, I believe, and will often work
when everything else is locked and frozen. Not always, but often.

> Second, how do I get out of X?  I think I'm running gdm, set so I go
> straight into the graphical environment.  If I try to exit, I think it
> just comes right back.  And do I need to exit X, or just sawfish?

It's enough to get out of sawmill. Just get back to your GDM login
screen, switch to a vritual console, and apt-get away.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,