Re: Debian 2.2 Installation

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 08:30:39PM -0400, Robert Tilley wrote:

> I am running on an Intel Celeron 300A system with a RIVA TNT2 Ultra, a
> SoundBlaster Live card, an HP 7200 CD-burner and a Memorex CD-202E.  I'm
> having trouble configuring X-windows and sound.

    I don't know about your video card. Check out www.xfree86.org, run
XF86Setup or xf86config, and pick the right server for your card.

    As for your soundcard, I have a SB Live! Value card. Grab the module from
Creative Labs. Instructions are here:

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/soundcards/sblive.html

    Note btw that neither of these has to do with Debian, specifically. I set
up my soundcard under Mandrake 6.0 in the exact same way. Debian doesn't need
an installer for X, since XFree86 comes with 2. Granted, autodetection would
be great. Becoming intimate with my hardware is not necessarily something that
I want to do. However, if a software guy like me can become intimate with
hardware, the average computer-literate can probably handle it, and learn
something in the process.
    I'd love it if something would tell me reliably what I'm using though.
SuperProbe tries with the graphics card, but it's died on older cards, and
sometimes I'm just hoping and praying with the monitor timings 'cause there's
no book and the vendor's website sucks.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX