Rapid beeps and system lock up

A little earlier this evening I did an apt-get upgrade, which picked
up about 6 packages.  I am getting them from potato and helix-gnome,
so probably they came from the latter.

I came back well after everything had finished; it all looked OK.  I
dial up.  But when I tried to switch windows, I couldn't and I got a
very rapid beeping noise.  At first I thought it was my modem having
troubles, but I think it was the computer's beeper or even some other
hardware (crazy disk accessing?).

The only thing I could do was click on the GNOME start menu and select
log off.  I hit yes when asked to confirm.  After that the system was
totally unresponsive (though still beeping).  ctl-alt-del did nothing
(AMD K6-2 CPU and ASUS P5A motherboard).  I had to hit the computer's
restart switch.  Just like MS-Windows (ouch!)

Unfortunately the script I recorded with the download vanished (fsck
had to fix up the disks), so I can't say exactly what got downloaded.

So ... does anyone know what the beeping might indicate?  Is this a
well-known mode the system gets into?

And has anyone else had this problem, or have any ideas what might be
going on.

The reboot seems to have cleared things up, so I'm not in any pain
from the problem--just curious.

Thanks.