Re: Questions

John Hasler wrote:

> Support is not gone.  Post your questions here and we will try to answer
> them same as always.

i meant support as in updates..

> Of course packages for potato will install on slink.  How do you think
> upgrading works?  Just 'apt-get install package' and 'package' and its
> dependencies will be installed.  If the package doesn't work file a bug.

there is a extremely high chance that doing an apt-get install package
will being doing a full distro upgrade, which in my case is probably
impossible because of all the source packages i have installed..i need
to go thru and see if the binaries will run on glibc2.1 ..in the case of
going from 2.0->2.1 the upgrade was painless, but even going from
2.1->2.2 with no source packages installed upgrading was still a major
pain, and its not something *I* can risk doing from remote:(

> It's broken.  The administrators know about it.

i think it was intentional..if people were to search past archives where
is the archives for 2.0 ? 1.3 ? since slink is no longer "stable" ...its
not in the list. thats my theory anyways.

> You have everything you need to "support" it yourself or hire someone to do
> it for you.

yes i do, and i can, thats why i moved away from slackware in the first
place.

> I'm sure any number of people would be willing to sell you whatever
> support you need.  Take a look at the Debian consultants list.

that is true, but i do not trust outside people having access to my
systems. i will just wait till i have a chance to test binary
compadiblity, hopefully it works and install new root drives in my slink
systems to minimize downtime, its not a big deal, but its kinda scary
runnig for months with a product on a production system that is exposed
to the net that is no longer supported. i was used to it with slackware
but shrug i was personally shocked that they decidedt o drop 2.1
support, dropping 2.1 security support after 2.3 came out would be fine
but right when potato hits stable..i dunno..

my 0.02

nate

--
:::