Re: Kernel build with kpkg (was Install of VMware)

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 07:11:23PM -0300, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > > Am I misreading the docs?
> > I don't know. What I could suggest you to do is this:
>
> Well, now I know. The make-kpkg man page makes it very clear that the only
> target which knows how to deal with rootcmd is buildpackage. I never use it,
> though. I don't need to build the rather big kernel-doc package, as I keep
> the kernel source tree around.

Thanks for the clarification.  The following (from the kernel-package README)
led me to believe (especially the part that I begin with ">>>" ) that it would
work with kernel_image:

Phase ONE: Getting and configuring the kernel
 1 % cd <kernel source tree>
 2 % make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure

Phase TWO: Create a portable kernel image .deb file
 3 % make-kpkg clean
 4 % $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
       (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
            sudo are examples that come to mind).

Phase THREE: Install the kernel image on one or more machines
 5 # dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
 6 # shutdown -r now

--
Tom Hoover N5NTM <tom@hisword.net> - http://www.hisword.net/tom
    - checkout HisWord(tm) Palmtop Bible at the above URL -