Re: Basic hostname question

On 21 Sep 2000, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Damon Muller wrote:
> >
> > Quoth Anthony Campbell,
> > > How are you supposed to form a hostname if you are not on a network but
> > > just connect intermittently to an ISP?
> > >
> > > Unless you have a dotted quad name, some hosts reject emails.
> >
> > Basically, you have to make your mails look from the outside like they
> > are coming from your ISP.
> >
> > How you do this depends a lot on the MTA that you are using. For qmail
> > (which I use), it's merely a matter of setting the QMAILHOST and
> > QMAILUSER environment variables before you send the email, which sets
> > the envelope sender. I'm sure there are equally easy ways to do it using
> > other MTAs, but I don't know what they are.
>
> If you are using exim, set 'qualify_domain' in /etc/exim.conf.  If you
> are still using smail, stick a domain in /etc/mailname.
>
> Just use your ISP's domain name for these.

Thanks to all who replied about this. I didn't realize it was such a
widespread problem. The above solution seems to be working.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.2 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.cix.co.uk/~acampbell/bookreviews/

"Palo y tente tieso." (Spanish proverb)
Free translation: "Hold fast is your only dog."