why no apm after re-install and support selected in recompiled kernel?

Hey I've got sound!!  But also another problem.  APM seems to
have disappeared.........

After my first install of Potato  I recompiled the kernel trying
to organise sound and APM - simply clicked on the first "enable
apm" option and it worked nicely, powering down when we get to
the "power off" message at shutdown.

For various reasons I decided to re-install (all bad no doubt)
and now after five recompiles I cannot persuade the kernel to
work, despite having asked for it to be built into the kernel. (I
still have the problem that a recompiled kernel simply cannot find
the modules I asked to be installed, this despite several
detailed and very helpful answers on the list)
Is there a package that I haven't installed this time round that
must have been there by default on my first try?  (apmd is up and
running according to boot up message - it shuts down before the
computer does!!)

Any help would be most appreciated as my machine here doesn't
have an off-switch - have to unplug to shut it down.......

Thanks for help thus far

Glyn M

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *