Re: Basic hostname question

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 09:37:05AM +0100 or thereabouts, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> How are you supposed to form a hostname if you are not on a network but
> just connect intermittently to an ISP?
>
> Unless you have a dotted quad name, some hosts reject emails.

What you can do is setup an account with dyndns.org and get one of
their dialup tools.  This tool would allow you to update the ip
address of the domain name you registered with dyndns.org so that it
points to the current ip address you are using when you dialin to
you ISP.

For example, at home I have registered darklord.dyndns.org as the
domain name for my home box.  Whenever I connect to my ISP I would
just run the utility so that darklord.dyndns.org would point to the
ip address I'm using now.  Hence, I can always send emails directly
from my home box to anyone.

HTH.

--

Who's watching the watchmen?