Re: Basic hostname question

Quoth Anthony Campbell,
> How are you supposed to form a hostname if you are not on a network but
> just connect intermittently to an ISP?
>
> Unless you have a dotted quad name, some hosts reject emails.

Basically, you have to make your mails look from the outside like they
are coming from your ISP.

How you do this depends a lot on the MTA that you are using. For qmail
(which I use), it's merely a matter of setting the QMAILHOST and
QMAILUSER environment variables before you send the email, which sets
the envelope sender. I'm sure there are equally easy ways to do it using
other MTAs, but I don't know what they are.

A better way is to maybe use your ISP as a smarthost, but then, I'm not
sure if most smarthosts re-write the envelope senders.

Personally, I use both.

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,