Question about upgrading to version 2.2

It's that time again! My wife is out of town for a few days, so I can
sit down and make my annual attempt to install Debian Linux.

I've been trying since 1997 to get Debian installed, so far without ever
getting it into such a state that I can actually use it. My latest
attempt resulted in a partial install of version 2.0, with a bunch of
"brokenly installed" packages, and no clear way of fixing them.

My questions are these:

1) Can I perform an "upgrade" to 2.2, with broken packages in the
system? I really don't want to install from scratch, as I only have five
days available for this attempt, and it took two weeks to get the GUI
part working last time. That black and white console screen starts
getting old after a while...

2) Is there some "magic invocation" that can fix the broken packages, or
remove them prior to the upgrade?

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller
"In Windows 95, no one can hear you scream."