Re: X-Window Configuration

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 05:10:43PM +0200, Stephan Kulka wrote:
> I had some difficulties starting the X-server, but now I just do not know
> where to start with installing windowmanager. I am interested in using
> GNOME.
> Could any one of you point out where I can start reading.

If you use dselect, search for the task-gnome packages.  If not, apt-get
install task-gnome-desktop (I think that's the right task...)

You might want try out Helix GNOME by adding this to you
/etc/apt/sources.list (see http://www.helixcode.com/):

  ## Helix GNOME

  deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

Then install task-helix-gnome which should depend on all the gnome stuff...

Note that installing these tasks installs *a lot* of stuff.  You could
individually install the packages you want, but the tasks are a good start.

After installing, putting "gnome-session &" from your $HOME/.xsession and then
running "startx" should start GNOME.

> BTW: Where can I get information about the Linux-filesystem?

What kind of info?  i.e. Developer or user?  If you are new to Linux, you
might want to read the Debian Tutortial
<http://www.debian.org/~hp/debian-tutorial.html> and the Debian Guide
<http://www.newriders.com/debian/html/noframes/>.  They both contain info
about basic file commands.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

For children with short attention spans: boomerangs that don't come back.