vim expandtab

Hi,

I installed vim on my potato box.  It seems to be a great vi
replacement.  But, is there any way to make vim to insert spaces when
the tab button is presses.  I think I have to set the expandtab setting
by the command:

:set et

But this doesn't seem to always work.  Most notably when I use the
command O or o.  When I use these commands there is still an 8space tab
that is inserted.  Is there any way to get the tab repacement option to
work all the time...  I want it to act like nedit does with the emulate
tab option.

Thanks

=====