Re: Packages???

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 01:56:27PM -0400, Christopher W. Aiken (chris@cwaiken.com) wrote:
> I've installed RH, MD, SuSE, Caldera, FreeBSD, etc.  and now would
> like to install Debian 2.2  I know, I know, but I like "punishment" :)
>
> I'm kid of hesitant because of all the new "nomenclature" such as
> "dselect" "dpkg", "apt-get", etc.  I've been monitoring this news list
> for a while, and I have to say this is a great place for all kinds of
> great information.  Thanks...
>
> A couple of things I don't quite understand.  I believe that "dselect"
> is a front end for the "dpkg" command.  Is this correct?

Yes.  Mostly.  As are capt, apt-get, and a number of other apt-*
commands.

> What is the difference between "dpkg" and "apt-get"??  Why would I
> want to use one over the other?

dpkg is an analog for rpm -- it manages single packages (mostly), or
lists everything (--get-selections).  dselect and apt-get don't really
have RPM equivalents -- they are multi-package management tools.

This is covered fairly well in the Debian documentation, you're
encouraged to read it.

> Can I use "apt-get" to install packages off of my Official 4 CD set or
> should I use "dpkg"?

Yes.

Use "dpkg -i /mnt/cdrom/<long-path-name>/foo.deb" to install a
particular file.  Use "apt-get install foo bar baz" to install foo along
with bar and baz.

> I'm getting ready to set up a "triple" boot with W98 (for wife and
> kids), FreeBSD 4.1 (for me), and Debian 2.2 (again for me).  I
> currently have a dual boot.

You really do like pain.  Read the multi-boot HOWTOs.