include dirs

hi all,

	I hope this question is directed to the correct group and not
too redundant.  I checked the list archives and the policy manual
before mailing this off.  What i would like is for someone to point me
towards a good source of information about what headers i need on my
system, where they should be, what should be in /usr/local/include,
how the kernel tree includes fit in the picture and anything else
related to the topic that i haven't asked, (because i don't know
enough to ask them yet:)  I have a rudminentary understand of
programming in C and the process of compilation and linking.  I
understand why i need headers, i am just not sure what my system
expects where.   I appreciate everyone time, thanks very much.

jereme

post: as i said, i am looking for general information but the specific
situation that prompted this note arose while running the configure
script that came with cipe-1.4.2  I got this error:
checking for kernel include tree... configure: error: no suitable
configured kernel include tree found

it seems to be a very clear error message, i just do not have the
knowledge of what should be where.

./configure --help shows --includedir=DIR  C header files in DIR
 [PREFIX/include] and PREFIX is /usr/local

thanks again