Re: bash login for root

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 02:31:51PM -0700, Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > I'll have to think a bit before I say it's really bad.  I think it's not
> > a *good* idea
>
> It's a horrible idea.
>
> All someone has to do then is crack your user account, and they can
> trivially edit one of your dotfiles and the next time you su to root,
> they have cracked root as well.

Though there are other avenues to this as well.  Ethan and I have been
going rounds on whether or not sudo is better than su.  My contention is
that sudo provides finer grained control, even when such things as "sudo
bash" are allowed.  However, in such a case, again, only user-level
security need be compromised for an attacker to gain root.