Installation help

Here's the deal - I have an abit bx62.0 motherboard with an abit hotrodd66
(dma66) adaptor plugged in to a pci slot.  I have a memorex 48x atapi
cdrom and a 40 gig HD plugged in through the hotrod.

The first problem is that the cd will not boot.  I have the same problem
with Freebsd and Beos cd's as well.  The bios does recognize the CDrom
though when I power on the computer.

The 2nd problem, is that when I copied the boot files on to the windows
desktop and went from there, when it comes time to set up space on a hard
drive, setup does not find my 40gig.  Again, I have the same problem with
FreeBsd as well.

Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks,

Marty