Re: disc partition plan for new install

On 18 Sep 2000, John L . Fjellstad wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:46:11AM +0400, Rino Mardo wrote:
>
> > /swap - 2xRAM
>
> I don't think the 'rule' of swap being 2xRAM is necessary anymore.
> I have 256 MB RAM, and 133 MB swap, and hardly use the swap at all
> (currently using about 712 KB of swap). My system can have up to
> 1 GB of RAM.  I hardly think with that much physical memory, that
> 2 GB swap disk will be necessary.
>
> Even with 64MB RAM, and if you're not doing heavy development, 128 MB
> swap is probably overkill.
>
> --
> John______________________________________________________________________
> email: john@fjellstad.org                   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
> icq: thales @ 17755648
>
> #####          I'm subscribed to this list, no need to cc:          ######

I have 64 Mb RAM and currently 49 Mb swap; this never gets more than
half full (unless Netscape goes mad, which it does sometimes).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.2 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"Palo y tente tieso." (Spanish proverb)
Free translation: "Hold fast is your only dog."