disc partition plan for new install

I will be upgrading soon to a faster box.  This will leave me a
machine to use strictly in Debian-Linux.  I will use the Debian
package because it seems to be the distribution least hidden (behind
make-easy apps) and closest to the OS.  The box will be used as a
learning/development tool.  Eventually it will handle internet
connections, personal site hosting, LAN server, file/application
server, and all the normal development apps.

Since this will be a new environment for me, I don't have any feel for
the setup needs.  I will start with a basic functionality and add on
as my comfort level dictates.  What I would like help on is the disc
partitions and directory architecture--let's set it up now for
ultimate functionality and safety.  Until software gets even more out
of hand, I am memory and HD rich.

The system will consist of:
PII 350 mHz, Spacewalker HOT 661, Award BIOS
192 meg ram
8 gig HD (primary master)
13 gig HD (primary slave)
1.44meg floppy
CD rom (eide secondary master--non bootable)
18 gig scsi (may be moved to new winbox)

tnx,
gt