Re: cleanly migrating from ide install to scsi system

:: On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:15:13 -0500, William Jensen <jensenb@bodach.com> said:

> Is it possible to:

> 1. boot the installation floppy
> 2. launch a shell
> 3. bit by bit copy everything from the ide drive over to the scsi
> 3. go into the scsi drive and mod lilo to point to it
> 4. install onto the mbr
> 5. reboot

> Is that possible?  Or would I be better off just going to a new
> install?

I did something similar. When I installed woody in this box, I got a
friend's HD, copied his /usr, / and /var partitions, etc to my
HD. Then, I just had to configure lilo and I had a woody box
running. (I also had to delete his user account and add mine, but you
won't need to do that)

It's worth trying... Just don't forget tto add all the SCSI stuff into
the kernel.

> Regards,
> Wm

HTH,
J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil