Re: cleanly migrating from ide install to scsi system

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 07:15:13PM -0500, William Jensen wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As some of you know I'm converting to a SCSI system this week when my hardware
> arrives.  I've started giving a thought to what I need to backup, save, or
> generally have available to me offline so I can get my system back up and
> running in quick order.  Then it occured to me it might be possible to avoid
> a reinstall completly and just "ghost" from the ide over to the scsi.  Is it
> possible to:
>
> 1. boot the installation floppy
> 2. launch a shell
> 3. bit by bit copy everything from the ide drive over to the scsi
> 3. go into the scsi drive and mod lilo to point to it
> 4. install onto the mbr
> 5. reboot
>
> Is that possible?  Or would I be better off just going to a new install?

yes, that is how i upgraded a disk once, i used cpio and find.  worked
quite nicely.

the only part you might have troubles with is getting lilo installed
right, so have a boot floppy around just in case.  just boot it with
root=/dev/sda1 and then lilo will install right for sure.

and most importantly:

don't forget to edit /etc/fstab !!

--
Ethan Benson