Re: /tmp directory

debian-user@lists.debian.org wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 10:45:02PM +0200, e.pfeifer@science-computing.de wrote:
>> these are socket files created by programs that make use of so-called
>> unix domain sockets -- nothing to worry about :) MC identifies this file
>> type with a leading "=" and color black (at least in its default
>> configuration). The "s" at the beginning of the permissions-string also
>> stands for socket.
>
>Could you tell me what these unix domain sockets are for. What is their
>job in the system?

They are used for various kinds of inter-process communication, and act
in much the same way on the local machine as TCP/IP sockets do on the
wider Internet. For instance, the system logging daemon (syslogd)
listens on /dev/log, and any program can connect to that socket and
write a log message.

>> Not only emacs, but also many other editors, have the file naming convention
>> of appending a "~" for backup files.
>
>So can I say that all file that end with '~' are backup files.

There's no rule about it, but it's a useful rule of thumb.

>Are these files sililar to temporary files that winshit creats?

Only in the sense that they normally contain data that already exists
elsewhere. In the Unix world they're mostly plain text, and thus
generally more useful to somebody who doesn't know which program they
came from.