Re: /tmp directory

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 09:53:22PM +0200, QBA wrote:

> Names that start with '=' are visible only in mc (and its color is black).
> When I type 'ls -l' I get only the names (without '='). But I've just notice
> another strange thing 'bout these files. Namely, their permissions are odd
> to me. In the first place (where usualy is '-' or 'd' or 'l') there is 's'.
> What do you think about it?

these are socket files created by programs that make use of so-called
unix domain sockets -- nothing to worry about :) MC identifies this file
type with a leading "=" and color black (at least in its default
configuration). The "s" at the beginning of the permissions-string also
stands for socket.

If you wonder which program created them, you might try to deduce it
from the file name (e.g. "=mysql.sock" would hint you to the Mysql-deamon).
As to whether you can delete them: this depends on whether they are still
in use by some program. You can usually delete socket files older than
the last reboot of the machine -- if you feel better then ;-)
these were left over by processes that can no longer be running...

> And returning to the second part of my earlier message. I don't use emacs.
> So where do these files come from?

Not only emacs, but also many other editors, have the file naming convention
of appending a "~" for backup files.

Erdmut

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing gmbh

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --