Re: /tmp directory

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:59:07PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> If the names really *start* with '=' then I have no idea what they
> are.  But if that was a typo and they actually *end* with '=' then the
> files are named pipes, and you probably don't want to delete them.  Named
> pipes are a method of interprocess communication (IPC).  Using them is
> similar to using the '|' in a shell, except that the pipe stays around for
> longer than just a single command.  The orbit directories are used by
> GNOME.  I wouldn't bother deleting them, even if they hang around after
> GNOME exits (I'm not sure if they're supposed to be deleted automatically
> or not).  They're not taking up any space, just inodes.  And you've
> probably got more than enough inodes.
>
> The ~ files are typically created by emacs as backup files.  MC is
> probably configured to ignore backup files in an attempt to de-clutter
> things.  I can't tell you how to change that setting, though, as I don't
> use MC.
>
> noah

Names that start with '=' are visible only in mc (and its color is black).
When I type 'ls -l' I get only the names (without '='). But I've just notice
another strange thing 'bout these files. Namely, their permissions are odd
to me. In the first place (where usualy is '-' or 'd' or 'l') there is 's'.
What do you think about it?
And returning to the second part of my earlier message. I don't use emacs.
So where do these files come from?
Thanks for help,

QBA