Kernel questions

I have a few basic questions about building the kernel from source for
debian. I've read the documentation, but there are a few things that are
unclear to me.

Why is the kernel-image-* package compiled with APM turned off? Almost
any computer bios made in the last couple of years supports apm
features, so it would make sense for debian to distribute the default
kernel image or at least offer a kernel image with apm enabled.

Why does the kernel-source-* package ship with a change from upstream
source with apm turned off? I would also think it would be cool to have
the kernel source package ship with the 'debian official config' saved
off in an external configuration file so that I could rebuild
*everything* that ships in the kernel image. Any easy place to get that
configuration? Should I file a wish-list bug for the kernel-source to
have that config packaged with it?