Re: Kernel questions

Aaron Brashears wrote:

> I have a few basic questions about building the kernel from source for
> debian. I've read the documentation, but there are a few things that are
> unclear to me.
>
> Why is the kernel-image-* package compiled with APM turned off? Almost
> any computer bios made in the last couple of years supports apm
> features, so it would make sense for debian to distribute the default
> kernel image or at least offer a kernel image with apm enabled.
>
> Why does the kernel-source-* package ship with a change from upstream
> source with apm turned off? I would also think it would be cool to have
> the kernel source package ship with the 'debian official config' saved
> off in an external configuration file so that I could rebuild
> *everything* that ships in the kernel image. Any easy place to get that
> configuration? Should I file a wish-list bug for the kernel-source to
> have that config packaged with it?

I have never used apm and don't plan on it, unless I get a laptop. As
far as I can tell from reading on linux lists it is a testy thing to
configure at times. It would probably cause more problems that it is
worth to have built into a kernel by default.  When you build your
kernel you are given the chance to select any option the kernel supports
when you "make config" or "make menuconfig" or go the kpkg route.
hth,
kent

"Neurosis is the way of avoiding non-being by avoiding being."
- Paul Tillich, American theologian (1886-1965).