Re: Kernel questions

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 09:39:35PM -0700, Aaron Brashears wrote:
> I have a few basic questions about building the kernel from source for
> debian. I've read the documentation, but there are a few things that
> are unclear to me.
>
> Why is the kernel-image-* package compiled with APM turned off? Almost
> any computer bios made in the last couple of years supports apm
> features, so it would make sense for debian to distribute the default
> kernel image or at least offer a kernel image with apm enabled.

Debian supports many older computers too.  They might not support APM,
or be broken.  It's one thing to not have your computer go to sleep, and
another for it to randomly crash and corrupt the filesystem.

> Why does the kernel-source-* package ship with a change from upstream
> source with apm turned off? I would also think it would be cool to
> have the kernel source package ship with the 'debian official config'
> saved off in an external configuration file so that I could rebuild
> *everything* that ships in the kernel image. Any easy place to get
> that configuration? Should I file a wish-list bug for the
> kernel-source to have that config packaged with it?

Debian kernels are pretty much stock AFAIK.  You can download kernels
from kernel.org (or one of it's mirrors) just as easily.  Anyway, just
move .config to .config.old and you should get the default kernel
configuration.  I suggest building kernels with make-kpkg
(kernel-package).  It simplifies the installation and lets dpkg know
about your kernel changes.

$ make menuconfig
$ make-kpkg clean
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=5:foo.1.0 kernel_image
$ su -c 'dpkg -i ../kernel-image*.deb'
Password:

Simple, no?

--