Re: advanced power management and linux?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 09:06:18PM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> > > Hm, the chopstick is starting to  smell bad, gotta let the fan run for
> > > a bit..
> >
> > the fan motor will probably burn out like this.
>
> Hm, really? I don't think the motor is running; the P/S makes
> absolutely no sound at all. Still going strong. Do mean that
> the motor will burn out because it isn't running, but should be?

the fan IS running but you just jam a chopstick in to prevent it from
moving right? so the motor is still trying to run but is stuck, so the
motor will eventually burn out in this condition.

a better way to stop the fan is to unplug it.

> In this case, can I replace the (hard-wired) fan with some
> component from Radio Shack (a resistor??) which fools the
> circuit into thinking that it's a fan? What sort of component
> would I need? The fan is 12V, 0.15A.

you mean the powersupply can tell that the fan is removed and refuses
to work without it?  in that case i am not sure, a resister may very
well do the job but you could short things out if its the wrong size.

im not though ive never needed to disable a powersuppy fan before.
(mine are not that noisy)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/