Re: corruption during power loss

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 10:58:57PM +0200, Sven Burgener wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:13:53PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > your other option is using a Journeling filesystem such as Reiser or
> > ext3 (reiser i think is more mature at this point but still has some
> > serious limitations such as being unsuitable for use on /)
>
> It's time for Linux to integrate a journaling FS.  Will this be
> happening with the upcoming 2.4? I mean 'integrated by default'.

probably not, from my readings of linux-kernel it appears that the
people in charge (Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox)* do not yet feel Reiser
is quite ready to be merged into the main kernel tree.  i think
Alexander Viro the VFS guy also has some issues.   The other problem
is Linus is getting more conservative about allowing new stuff into
2.4 since the more that is added the longer it will take to finish.

> Also, which of the journaling FS projects will be the one integrated
> into the main kernel source tree (sometime)?

most likely Reiser will be first since its a bit further along then
ext3.  But iirc Alan Cox wants to see the Reiser and ext3 journaling
layers merged before either goes in.

read linux kernel archives or past issues of kernel-cousin on
linuxcare.  if your interested in the details.

* i don't presume to speak for anyone, this is just what i remember
reading in the past couple months.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/