Re: HELP! with ethernet

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 08:37:12PM +0800, Cam Ellison wrote:

> How do I force the system to identify the ethernet card?
> I have put the following line in lilo:
> ether=0,ox300,eth0 to force probing

That should be obsolete because it is a PCI, isn't it?

> How do I compile the rtl8139.c file (I have tried, but it keeps
> complaining about a missing linux/mod*.h [sorry, I did not record the
> name] file, even when I attempt to compile it in the same directory.
> All the other *.h files are recognized)?  Is this the problem?
> I'm sure I've done something totally inappropriate, but all the
> consultation with howto files and man pages has left me befogged.

Is the file called "modversions.h"? I had this problem once but only
while trying to compile a newer rtl8139 driver - not the one from the
kernel. I was able to compile it with (I guess) this additional
option: "-I /usr/src/linux/linux".
You could check if the newer driver works for you. Have a look at
http://www.scyld.com .
But you can compile the kernel? Did you make "linux" a symlink to
"linux-2.2.17"?

Phil