HELP! with ethernet

I upgraded to potato, although without replacing the slink kernel
(2.0.36).  Then I installed a D-Link DFE-538TX ethernet card (which
uses the RealTek rtl8139.o driver).  It was fine.  I could ping my
kids' machine, could ping mine from theirs, and even had telnet working
on theirs (though not the reverse).  Then I replaced the kernel with
2.2.17.  Even though I have PCI enabled, the kernel refuses to
acknowledge the card, complaining that the SiS chip is not 100%
compatible.  When I checked rtl8139.o, I got a long list of incorrect
assignments (I'm doing this from memory, back in the relative safety of
OS/2, so my terminology may be incorrect).

How do I force the system to identify the ethernet card?
I have put the following line in lilo:
ether=0,ox300,eth0 to force probing
with no success -- bzlilo whinges about syntax errors, though I copied
what was in the Ethernet-Howto religiously.

How do I compile the rtl8139.c file (I have tried, but it keeps
complaining about a missing linux/mod*.h [sorry, I did not record the
name] file, even when I attempt to compile it in the same directory.
All the other *.h files are recognized)?  Is this the problem?
I'm sure I've done something totally inappropriate, but all the
consultation with howto files and man pages has left me befogged.

My profound thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Cam

Cam Ellison, Ph.D., R.Psych.

cam_ellison@uniserve.com  or cam@fleuryassociates.com