Re: laptop

Michael Soulier wrote:

>         So I'm installing Linux on my first laptop, an IBM thinkpad, P-III
> 500 from work (they had '98 on it *shudder*). Installed fine, but I have
> no idea how to configure X.
>         What monitor do I chose for these LCD things? There are three LCD
> screens listed, but none of them seem to work. I guess I can check the IBM
> homepage and try to find the specs there...

i installed debian on several dell latitude notebooks, seemed the
monitor setting didn't do anything, it could of be set to anything and
it still worked. the chipset was neomagic. i figured that the driver
automatically handled the screen. what kind of chip in the ibm ?

>         Anything interesting that I could know about PCMCIA devices? I've
> never dealt with them before.

not sure about debian, but in slackware i had to recompile pcmcia
support to enable APM. otherwise bad things happened when suspending.
the dells i used came with xircom combo 10/100 and modems, i believe all
the linux distros i tested(mandrake, debian, slackware) autodetected
both the NIC and the modem. the only issue i had was with dhcp.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336