Re: laptop

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 07:55:55PM -0700, Nate Amsden wrote:

> i installed debian on several dell latitude notebooks, seemed the
> monitor setting didn't do anything, it could of be set to anything and
> it still worked. the chipset was neomagic. i figured that the driver
> automatically handled the screen. what kind of chip in the ibm ?
>
> not sure about debian, but in slackware i had to recompile pcmcia
> support to enable APM. otherwise bad things happened when suspending.
> the dells i used came with xircom combo 10/100 and modems, i believe all
> the linux distros i tested(mandrake, debian, slackware) autodetected
> both the NIC and the modem. the only issue i had was with dhcp.

    Actually, I did a search on "linux thinkpad 600X" on google, and it came
back with a couple of sample XF86Config files. It's a neomagic card, but the
chipset was a little different.
    It's working great now.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX