Re: apm/hdparm/power-supply saga, latest installment

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Nate Amsden wrote:

> curious why you'd be so interested in doing all this i could never see
> why people wanted to suspend/sleep a desktop system(a notebook i can
> see..)

Yeah I get this question a lot. To me it's really obvious
though: I live in a small apartment and the noise of the
computer is really annoying, but so is rebooting. Plus if I
can shave a few cents off the global hydro bill by stopping
the hd etc., that's ok too. Note that I'm the only person
who uses my machine.

> me, i keep all my systems on 24/7. i turn off the monitors to reduce
> heat(my apt can get quite hot if they are on all the time when im not
> using them). but the pcs themselves are on.

Yeah well I'm still in this delusional phase where I like to
pretend that there is more to my apartment than computers (who
are we kidding though, I've been playing with this one all
weekend.)

This also raises the question, at least in my mind, of what is
meant by "on". If the machine is in APM 'standby' mode, is it
on? What if it's in 'suspend' mode? It looks to me like in 'standby'
mode the OS is still running, because the software
clock doesn't need to be reset (at least, the apmd event.d
scripts don't seem to care about 'standby' mode, and the date
in my bash prompt doesn't get screwed up when I do an apm
--standby.

-chris