Re: Mail-Followup-To still broken in mutt/exim

On Tuesday, 05 September 2000 at 18:58, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:22:31PM -0400, Brendan Cully (brendan@kublai.com) wrote:
>
> > > 'karsten' is a valid email address on my host.  It's not on the
> > > Internet.  I'm a bit stumped as to why exim rewriting isn't working.
> >
> > so use your internet address. exim probably has no interest in
> > non-standard headers like MFT.
>
> This should be tunable behavior.  Nonconfigurable interference or
> nonconfigurable ignoring of headers is bad.  Choice is good.
>
> > mutt strips out the names it recognises as yours from the MFT
> > header. That is one reason why you should set $from to
> > kmself@ix.netcom.com.
> >
> > Why don't you want to set $from?
>
> Because it breaks local mail if my internet connection is fscked.  It
> makes my internal network dependent on external connections and servers.
>
> I'm looking at a send-hook to set $from conditionally.  I'd prefer an
> exim solution.

There are probably quite a lot of hacks you could use to get kmself to
work with local mail. maybe you could get exim to rewrite in the other
direction, from kmself@ix.netcom.com to karsten. Your MFT header will
still not get rewritten, but on the other hand it won't be set (unless
you're subscribed to some mailing lists running from your own machine).
I'm surprised you're sending so much mail to your own machine with
mutt, though...

--
Don't make Godzilla mad!